Some affiliate links are provided below. Learn more.
When I’m stressed, one of my favourite ways to unwind is by running a bath, lighting a candle, and staring at the bathroom ceiling while having a mini existential crisis.
And also by making wreaths.
I’m not sure why, but I find the whole wreath-making process incredibly relaxing. So, when I found myself a bit stressed earlier this week, I decided to make a new wreath for the living room.
Here’s how my little wreath making adventure turned out:
There are two things that I really like about this wreath. The first is that it’s fairly simple to make, as it’s literally just tying bunches of leaves to a wreath form.
The second thing I like about this wreath is that it’ll last quite a while even without doing anything to preserve the leaves. Wattle and eucalyptus don’t tend to droop (they dry out instead) and the colour fades quite slowly. This means that, even with drying, the wreath looks nice for weeks. Update: It’s now been four months since I made this wreath. It looks drier, but it’s still pretty. You can see a bit of it in the photos in this post. So that’s cool.
Below I’ve explained how I made my wreath, in case you’d like to make something similar yourself.
Beginner-friendly oversize DIY eucalyptus & wattle wreath
- A large wreath form. I reused the giant metal ring I used for my oversize Christmas wreath. You can buy a large wreath form here. Alternatively, you can see what you can find around your house that can be used as a wreath form.
- Foraged eucalyptus and wattle.
- Paddle wire
- Jute twine
I began by sorting all of my greenery into equal-sized bunches. In each bunch I included a mixture of wattle and eucalyptus, as I find bunches with a variety of greenery tend to look better.
Once my bunches were sorted, I tied some paddle wire to the wreath form using a few tight knots.
I then started adding the greenery to the wreath. To do this, I would hold a bunch of greenery with my left hand while using my right hand to loop the paddle wire around the stems several times, pulling tightly to keep everything in place.
I kept adding bunches of greenery, laying them so that they were all overlapping a fair bit to ensure my wreath was nice and full.
When I’d covered about 80% of the wreath form, I tied off my paddle wire and hid the little ‘tail’ among the leaves.
To finish, I gently flipped my wreath over and added some jute twine so I could hang it easily.
And that was it!