A few weeks ago I was at a kitchenware shop looking for a new frying pan after mine finally carked it. While browsing, I spotted a super cute bird figurine.
Because, you know, bird figurines are a totally normal thing for a kitchen store to sell.
Anyway, because I’m a crazy bird lady, I obviously had to buy the bird figurine.
On the way home (without a frying pan…), I had a good think about how I wanted to use the bird. I decided that I wanted to make a cute little spring/Easter scenery jar.
To make the jar, I used:
- A jar. I reused one of the jars I used to make my 15 minute Christmas jars. You can re-use a food jar or buy a jar on Amazon.
- A bird figurine. You can find the one I used here.
- Artificial moss.
- A birds’ nest. You can buy pre-made nests here. I made mine following a modified version of this tutorial (I used a piece of sisal rope I ripped apart rather than sisal grass). It took about 20 minutes to make.
- Fake bird eggs. You can buy fake eggs or follow this simple tutorial to make your own. I did the latter but skipped painting the eggs to save time/effort.
- A few bird feathers (real or gathered).
- A rag.
- Jute twine.
I began by popping a bunched up rag at the bottom of the jar to add a bit of ‘bulk’.
Next, I added a mixture of artificial moss and twigs to the jar. I just used twigs I found in my garden. If you feel like it, you can also add other things such as leaves or dried flowers – it’s really up to you!
I positioned the moss and twigs so that they covered up the rag at the sides and the top.
I then rested some polymer clay eggs on top of my nest. As with the nest, you can buy pre-made eggs or make your own following the instructions in this post.
Next, I put my little bird inside the jar. I covered his feet with artificial moss to help him stay standing up.
To finish, I wrapped jute twine around the top of the jar, tying off with a bow.
Look at Frank, dutifully watching her babies. What a champ.
If you try this spring/Easter jar project, I’d love to know how you went in the comments below!
Have a wonderful day! xoxo
You can save this project for later here