Some affiliate links are provided below. Learn more.
On Friday I was stuck at home waiting for a plumber (our bathroom sink is experiencing some, uh, personal difficulties), so I thought I’d use the time attempt a little pot makeover I’ve been wanting to try for a while.
I took this cheap pot from Kmart:
And combined it with these dome beads I picked up for $5:
To make a beaded pot.
I took the inspiration for this pot from a set of beaded bowls and glasses I saw when I picked up my new craft storage jars. They were really nice, but as someone who eats dinner straight from the pan more often than I’d like to admit, I have no real need for fancy plates. So I thought I’d adapt the general idea to make something I’d actually use.
I have a lot of beads leftover, so I’ll probably do the same project again with outdoor pots. If I do, I’d probably change two things. Firstly, I’d put the first row of beads right at the top of the pot, rather than halfway down. Secondly, I’d probably opt for a glossy spray finish. I used a ‘satin’ finish because it was all I had at home, but if given the choice, I’d prefer a slightly shinier finish. With that said, neither of these things make any difference to the pot itself. They’re just small aesthetic changes.
DIY beaded pot makeover
- A ceramic pot
- Half dome beads
- Masking tape
- E600 glue
- Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover spray paint
- Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Multi Purpose Spray Paint in Satin Clear
I wanted my first line of beads to be about an inch from the top of the pot, but there was no way I was going to be able to glue them on straight without some sort of line to follow. The curved shape of the pot meant that drawing a line would be hard, so I ran a strip of masking tape along the top of the pot to work as a guide.
With the tape in place, I began adding my beads. You can get these beads at pretty much any craft store or you can pick up some here.
I originally tried to use my hot glue gun to attach the beads to the pot, but it was honestly a bit of a mess. The strings of hot glue kept sticking to the pot. Bits of glue seeped out from under the beads. It was ugly. So I did the craft walk of shame to the sink to scrape off my fail and tried again with some E600 glue instead.
Basically, I just used a wooden skewer to dab a small amount of E600 glue to the back of each dome, then pressed it to the pot using my fingers, using the masking tape as a guide.
Once the first row of beads was in place, I added another strip of masking tape below them.
Then, as with the first row, I added a second row of beads to the pot.
Once the glue was dry (about 20 minutes), I took the pot out to the shed and gave it two coats of Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover in white. This stuff is advertised as “paint and primer in one”, so I didn’t bother priming the pot before I started. Once the paint was dry, I sealed the pot with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Multi Purpose Spray Paint in Satin Clear. Like I mentioned above, I’d probably use a glossy finish if I was to do this project again, just to give the pot a little extra shine.
And that was pretty much it!